I am a scholar in economics. Sometimes I am finding it pretty hard to explain what exactly it is what I am doing. I think I would like to call myself a social engineer. Engineers design and build new and improved systems. A social engineer should be able to design new and improved social systems or at least some parts of the system. The big difference is that a social engineer, unlike a mechanical engineer, might find it impossible to put to proper use and see if it is really of any worth whatever he designed. Consequently, social engineers spend most of the time providing explanations for what is already functioning and why it functions the way it does.
I was fortunate (or unfortunate) to experience two major social systems of the XX century. That is, command economy and free market economy. An anecdotic difference between the two would be that while the communists were trying to tell people what to do, like how to live and what to produce, the free market regulators were merely trying to tell people what NOT to do. For whatever reasons, it seems that people are better at NOT doing things rather than at doing. Consequently, the free market economy prevailed:).
Leaving the anecdotic register, I think that we are experiencing tremendous transformations of societies, under the pressure of globalization and under the pressure of the gigantic informational wave. Changes in society are not new but the speed with which these take place today, are unseen before. I think the two key words for the future organizations are transparency and cooperation. This stands for individuals too. Transparency stems from the penetration of the new IT systems and whatever informational advantage a company or an individual might have had, and benefited from it, it will soon disappear. Those who can survive a transparent environment will adapt better. Cooperation was always important but the cooperation I am referring here is at a different level, much more engaging that what was seen until now. Changes of information should be almost simultaneous and at all levels, much like the Borg in the popular Star Trek TV series. Their remarkable power, a real threat for the humans, was the way they were interconnected. The decisions were taken involving all individuals in an instant. But that was SF. However, my feeling is that the future belongs to Borg-like organizations and societies.
Saturday, February 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great work.
Post a Comment