I have not added anything to my blog since some time. The reason is that, well, I had had little extra time lately. But I have also considered whether it is worth to keep writing since I have seen that many of the bloggers declare that they hope to become famous or at least rich based on their blogs. This is fair enough, except I don’t feel very comfortable about getting famous this way, or even being suspected trying. This is a subtle point and would require a lot of explanation. After all, any author hopes to get to be known someday and eventually materially rewarded. And I would also like to get my ideas noticed and get some recognition if they are original. But I still think that the blogosphere should be a space for sharing ideas and expressing solidarity with others or with some goals, without seeking immediate reward.
However, since I do have a little extra-time I would write a little more as a sort of letters to my future self. I mean it would be interesting after a number of years to see how my views have changed and how I perceived the world when I was a little younger. If you happen to read this, I sure hope you will enjoy it (and feel encouraged to provide any feedback – as comment or e-mail, both allowed). One matter of concern is my posted survey, which kindly asks the reader to vote on the quality of English used on my blog. I have received one vote on the “completely hopeless” entry. And completely hopeless means completely hopeless, no matter how you take it. I am not a native English-speaking person, but I do write scientific articles in English, and some of them passed through peer review processes.
Well, I will surely try to improve on my readability. On the other hand, I don’t know if you have noticed but every technical innovation has a selective effect on humans: some get the most out of it as it improves their native skills, while some they get the worst of it. It’s like a natural selection process, although it is man-made. Take computers: some found them to be crucial for advancements in their career or in their private life while some were certainly adversely affected. They were transformed in drooling monkeys with a keyboard (I apologize for the harsh words). Being able to express freely is one fundamental right that any person should enjoy, even under the cover of anonymity. However, in order to get the most out of it, it would be advisable not to shout out to loud or else this fundamental right will be of no real benefit.
Friday, May 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment