What EconQuant stands for?
It is term borrowed from the finance world. For a financier, a quant is a guy who uses sophisticated mathematical models to explain things on the stock market. Sometimes these things are very simple.
I am a social economist. This means I use mathematical reasoning to explain social phenomena from an economic perspective. Social phenomena do not always have economic motivations. But I want to think they have. It makes my reasoning easier. For this, I have to invent a special individual, which I will call homo oeconomicus (read “omo economicus”). This guy resembles the normal, average citizen in many ways. But it also differs, sometimes in a fundamentally different way.
Maybe I should say it’s not me who invented the concept. But since there is no official author, no trademark, I use it as my own (please don’t sue me if you DO claim ownership).
Why did I choose to blogg? Because it’s trendy and because I can get feedback on my opinions in a form that is not a peer-review.
I hope you will find my views entertaining and useful. Any feedback (that is not in the form of a rotten egg) is welcome.
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment